The History of Dubí

Kostel Dubí   The town of Dubí is to be found at the foot of the Krušné Hory at 420 m. above sea level, 7 km away from a larger town of Teplice. The spa status was granted to Dubí in 1966. Theresa’s spa is an establishment with long-time tradition of providing balneology and rehabilitation care to patients with paresis of vascular and other origins, after injuries and CNS operations and locomotive system diseases. History of Theresa’s spa goes back to the year 1870 when it was founded by Dr. Brecher as Hydrotherapeutic Establishment.

1860 was a mile stone in the history of the spa tradition in Dubí. Anton Tschinkel , a factory owner, who was in search of a place for barrel production, found a summer home in Dubí and had a siderite and china factory set up there. Here he met with Josef Loschner, a balneologist, who gave him the idea of using the waters. In 1862, Diana´s Spa (Dianiny Lázně) were welcoming first guests. Tschinkel built several spa buildings, parks and a lookout-tower restaurant. Other spa complexes were Vodoléčebný ústav Dra Brechera and Tereziny lázně. Among the many honoured spa guests were such names as Jan Neruda, a 19th century poet, C. Schenk, an opera singer, Vilém Riedel, a painter, Erwin Shulhoff, a composer and Václav Talich, a conductor, and also famous actor Oldřich Nový.

 

The Church of Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary

 

The church was built according to an order from the Clary-Aldringen family in the years 1898 – 1906 to reflect the original Venetian Santa Maria dell´Orto church. The design was developed by P. Bigaglio, an architect, and J. Siegmund of Teplice realized the building project. A close railway track Dubí – Moldava (engineered by Tomáš Nowak) was pronounced a national trust item in 1998. Dubí is best known for its production of traditional Czech china called cibulák (the onion pattern).